CASE STUDY 5.1: Understanding the impact of climate change on the Northern Territory mango industry
Mangoes are the Northern Territory’s largest horticultural product, and the Territory is the country’s largest grower of mangoes. In 2017/18, the Northern Territory produced almost half of the national mango crop, worth around A$90 million.
Flowering of commercially produced mango cultivars and those from the National Mango Breeding Program (a partnership between Northern Territory, Western Australia, Queensland and CSIRO) are sensitive to the changing climate, specifically to minimum and maximum temperature.
Working with the Northern Territory Department of Primary Industry and Resources, we provided and supported the application of climate change information to get an insight into the effects of future minimum and maximum temperatures for these cultivars. This will allow the industry to consider an appropriate management response.
We also delivered an industry-specific climate change literacy program, Making cents of climate change, to provide context for the impact assessment and foundation knowledge to help with understanding of the impact assessment results.
Completed: June 2020
More information: Mandy Hopkins, ESCC Hub Knowledge Broker
Publications and products
- Final report: Impact of climate change on flowering induction in mangoes in the Northern Territory
- Fact sheet: Conducting a climate change health check on temperature thresholds for mango production in the Northern Territory
- Fact sheet: Changing number of suitable days for initiating mango flowering in the Northern Territory
- Fact sheets: What do fewer inductive days mean for mango cultivars in Darwin, Katherine and Kununurra
- Fact sheets: Why understanding climate change makes sense for mango growers in
Darwin, Katherine and Kununurra
- Workshop report: Impact of climate change on mango production in the Northern Territory
- Workshop summary: Impact of climate change on mango production in the Northern Territory
- Case study fact sheet: Understanding the impact of climate change on the Northern Territory mango industry
- Case study technical scope summary
- ECOS article: Understanding climate change impacts on mangoes in the Northern Territory