The ESCC Hub PhD affiliate initiative offers post-graduate students access to unique academic and professional development opportunities by virtue of the collaboration between Hub partners and access to the Hub’s extensive stakeholder network.
With the Hub’s strong end-user stakeholder focus and mandate to realise beneficial environmental outcomes for Australia through the delivery of useful, accessible science, PhD affiliates have the opportunity to participate in stakeholder networking, information sharing and awareness raising events hosted by the Hub.
These include our Young Professional Network events with different sectors such as banking, finance and insurance; opportunities to present science to our policy colleagues in state and federal government agencies; and opportunities to engage with Indigenous Australians to better understand climate change impacts on their communities and to what extent science can inform better decision-making for adaptation purposes.
PhD affiliates will also participate in the Hub’s annual workshop and science symposium, and will have access to:
- Networking opportunities with:
- the Hub’s research community across CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology and the five university partners (University of Melbourne, University of Tasmania, Australian National University, Monash University and University of NSW)
- other early career researchers within the Hub and young professionals within our external stakeholder network
- Mentoring opportunities with internationally renowned climate scientists across multiple research disciplines relevant to the Hub’s research portfolio
- Opportunities to participate in Hub and project level external stakeholder engagement and associated communication activities.
Existing or pending PhD candidates with any Australian university are eligible to apply to become a Hub PhD affiliate, provided their research topic is either directly or indirectly linked to aspects of climate change science and/or otherwise aligned with Hub research priorities and projects.
Applicants will preferably have at least one nominated supervisor or designated ‘sponsor’ from a Hub partner (university, CSIRO or the Bureau of Meteorology) who is or has been directly involved in one or more relevant Hub projects.