CASE STUDY 6.1: Second national Indigenous gathering on climate change – pathway to sustainable relationships
Indigenous communities across Australia are experiencing the effects of our changing climate, with changes in seasonal weather patterns, increasing temperatures, rising sea levels and changing water availability already impacting on country and people.
The 2018 National Indigenous Dialogue on Climate Change demonstrated an overwhelming interest by Australia’s First Peoples in better understanding our changing climate and what the future holds. It also highlighted the importance of an ongoing dialogue and made clear that First Peoples want to set their own agenda on climate knowledge and action.
To this end, the Hub is supporting the organisation and delivery of the National First Peoples Gathering on Climate Change to be held in 2020. This Gathering will celebrate, learn from and enhance First Peoples-led climate change action and will include:
- sharing tools and approaches
- presentations from selected Indigenous-led case studies
- western science learnings about climate change, both in the case studies and through climate change literacy presentations
- a proposal for governance of a First Peoples-led climate action plan
- a session on the NESP ESCC Hub’s role going forward
- identification of opportunities to deliver joint presentations through roadshows to government departments and others.
Commenced: November 2019
More information: Mandy Hopkins, ESCC Hub Knowledge Broker
National First Peoples Gathering on Climate Change in the news
This ABC News segment aired on 9 March 2020 mentions the Gathering and features Organising Committee members Rowena Bullio and Ro Hill.
Publications and products
- Communique from the Interim Steering Committee meeting (21 November 2019) [PDF]
- Communique from Steering Committee meeting 2 (30 January 2020) [PDF]
- Communique from Steering Committee meeting 3 (30 March 2020) [PDF]
- Communique from Steering Committee meeting 4 (11 May 2020) [PDF]
- Communique from Steering Committee meeting 5 (22 June 2020) [PDF]
- Communique from Steering Committee meeting 6 (20 July 2020) [PDF]
- Communique from Steering Committee meeting 7 (17 August 2020) [PDF]